Thursday, February 03, 2011

First new post in years!



Literally. I wanted to start off with a bang, so I'm going to talk about a book I read a couple weeks ago and then passed on to Jeremy. It's a Rex Stout, so probably many of you have already read it, but it's noteworthy I think. I love Rex Stout and have enjoyed every Nero Wolfe book I've been able to get my hands on, but this one really stood out to me. It's called Some Buried Caesar. It's thrilling for long time fans because Archie meets Lilly Rowan near the beginning, and manages to stir up some trouble with her throughout the story. Also fun is the fact that Nero Wolfe leaves his house and then spends most of the story looking for a comfortable chair. There were so many people with motive that I had a very difficult time figuring out the mystery, although Mr. Wolfe had it solved from the beginning. Jeremy and I were both wondering about one part of the book that never were solved. "What's the difference between a Catholic and a river that runs uphill?" is a joke that Archie starts and never finishes. Apparently there is no ending! A cruel joke played on the reader by not providing a punchline! I recommend it anyway. You can preview it on Google Books.

No comments: