Sunday, October 28, 2007

Response to the Master List

I wish I had a master list... I'm just trying to keep mine on Amazon, but I'm not very good at updating it (I usually go through it about once a year when xmas rolls around.) I've read several books on your list, and have been found seriously considering others in the corners of bookstores. Here are my opinions, if you are interested:

Achebe – I read this book and can’t really remember much about it. Although, other people rave about it, I don’t remember disliking it, but don’t really remember anything else either.

Alvarez – same as Achebe (and I own this one!) maybe I should just pick it up and read it again.

Berendt – I really liked this book, and just like everyone else, it made me want to go to Georgia on a little southern vacation.

Flagg – I think Fannie Flagg writes the perfect lazy Sunday afternoon novel. I think “Welcome to the World…” is not as good as “Fried Green Tomatoes…” but it’s still pretty excellent.

Golden – I would skip this one. I didn’t find it as compelling as other people told me. I would recommend Pico Iyer’s “The lady and the monk” for more interesting Japanese reads.

Haddon – I really liked this ‘book’ (I listened to this one.) Move this one closer to the top of your list!

Kingsolver – one of my most favorite writers. I own this one and really liked it. If you haven’t read “The Bean Trees” or “The Poisonwood Bible” read those first. (Although “Prodigal Summer” is very good, the other two are better.)

Letts – I could swear that I read this while staying at your apartment in KC once while you were in college! Are you sure you don’t already own this one?

McCourt – I had a *shrug* ‘whatever’, reaction to this book. I’m not sure why I thought he sounded whiny, but many other people liked this book.

Roy – whoof, excellent and heavy. My advice would be to not finish the book right before bedtime. I had a really hard time getting to sleep after reading this one, and I went back and read the ending twice, it was VERY good. (A less heavy and less excellent recommendation would be “the Death of Vishnu.”)

Wells – Skip this one. Really, I thought it was awful, horrible, brain poison. I think I finished it out of spite and have no idea why so many people thought it was good. Horrible traumatizing childhoods make for zany adulthood? I think not.

2 comments:

Cali said...

Oh yes, actually, I have read most of the list now. The ones I haven't read are few, but I thought I would include the entire original list so that other people could play along. Actually, I am getting down to the titles that I'm not sure I want to read...

Cali said...

Oh, and by the way, you did introduce me to Kingsolver several years ago and I promptly read everything she has written. She's wonderful. For the most part I agree with your other blurbs except I really am curious about the Alvarez book. I've almost picked it up about a hundred times. Maybe that's what I should do next.