Friday, April 14, 2006

New Books and the dangers of the Public Library

I received an e-mail from grandma yesterday advising me to get a book called "Castles in the Air" about a woman and her husband/boyfriend/fiance/something who move into a dilapidated castle in Northern Wales. I found it at the lib, but on the way through the stacks I spotted 2 other books on my new booklist!

So, I also picked up "Stolen Figs: And other adventures in Calabria" by Mark Rotella and "Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books" by Paul Collins.

I have high hopes for "Sixpence House" as it is about a family who move to Hay-on-Wye.

I'm almost done listening to "Don't Get Too Comfortable", which Cali recommended below. It's pretty funny. I also recommend it.

I've decided, in order to read all my books in time to get them back to the library before the late fees begin accruing, I will just have to stop unpacking and cleaning my new apartment.

I finished the "Flame Trees of Thika", but I did so under the pressure of moving and mounting library fines, so I can't really say that it was a relaxing or enjoyable process. I still recommend the book, though.

Enjoy the weekend!

d

3 comments:

Cali said...

Sixpence House was really good. I like his writing and there are plenty of bibliophile comments throughout the book. He can be a tiny bit writer-y if you know what I mean. But I still wanted to move there after reading it.

deeb said...

That sounds good. I may start that one next. I finished Castles in the Air this weekend, and it was pretty good.

I was put-off by the author in the beginning when she said that the bedroom was so cold that she curled up with her dog in her bed. blech. Winter in Wales sounds terribly cold and damp.

d

Cali said...

We have a dog visiting this week while my friend Tony is in Boston. She is really cute but we have to battle it out if it's chilly because she wants to be in bed under the covers. Otherwise she is a really good girl and usually sleeps between the bed and the wall. I give her plenty of her own covers so I know she is warm. It's been fun to have a dog that visits every once in a while.