Saturday, July 01, 2006

Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings

So this is my first Christopher Moore, even though he's caught my eye several times. It was hilarious. The characters are really funny. This book is about 2 friends doing whale research and their 2 employees. One employee is named Amy, has no tan even though she's in Hawaii, and has no past. The other employee's name is Preston Applebaum, but he calls himself Pelekekona or "Kona", and he talks like this ( an actual excerpt is the only way to describe):

"Some rippin' sets North Shore, they be callin' to me this morning." The kid shrugged. What could he do? Rippin' sets had called to him.
Nate squinted at the surfer, realizing that the kid was speaking some mix of Rasta talk, pidgin, surfspeak and....well, bullshit. "Stop talking that way, or you're fired right now."
"So you the ichiban big whale kahuna, like Clay say, hey?"
"Yeah," Nate said. "I'm the number-one whale kahuna. You're fired."
"Bummah, mon," The kid said. He shrugged again, turned , and started toward the door. "Jah's love to ye, brah. Cool runnings," he sang over his shoulder.

I think the plot is really funny too, but I'm not going to share much because there are a lot of surprises. It's sort of a mystery. Kinda. Also, just a warning--this book starts out fairly realistic and then become more and more fantastic as it goes on. This is fiction that believes in being fiction.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I've read Lamb and Dirty Job which were both quite good. Lamb is about Jesus growing up with his childhood friend, Biff. Very insiteful and, as usual, funny. Dirty Job is about a guy who becomes a "death merchant" who must get deceased person's souls to the right place before the demons come and take it. Not as fascinating as Lamb but well done and funny (as funny as death can be).

aj burke said...

Yes, I've seen this guy's stuff advertised in the New Yorker...apparently there are quite ALOT of them, which is good, if he is really that good. I will try to get my hands on one soon.