Saturday, September 22, 2007

Piano Lessons: Music, Love, and True Adventures

So I am very excited because this is the 1st book in my four year marriage that I have read before my lovely wife! One of my former English teachers (who I later worked with while teaching junior high) sent this to me because she thought it would be something that I would enjoy. The book is written by Noah Adams who is the host of NPR's All Things Considered. Adams reflects on one year of learning how to play the piano. He decided as an adult that he wished he knew how to play the piano. He loved the sound of the instrument and had always enjoyed interviewing pianists during his career at NPR. On a whim he decided to buy a $11, 000 dollar Steinway piano without knowing how to play a note.

Because I teach music, it was interesting for me to hear a beginner's reflection on learning an instrument. I also loved the background knowledge he gave about many different pianists, piano makers, and instruments. Several times during the nights that I was reading the book I wanted to get up and play the piano and experience some of the things he was talking about. I particularly liked this book, because of my interest in music, but I would recommend it to anyone, including my wife who is yet to read a page.

No comments: