Thursday, September 06, 2007

The End of the Affair

Oof, this one took me some time and it never took hold on me the way I thought it would. I haven't read any Graham Greene before this, and I'm not sure I'm interested in picking up any more, if this is the way it's going to be. (I'm open to suggestions if someone would like to convince me otherwise.)

The story is narrated by a guy who has just been left by the woman he has been seeing, who is cheating on her husband. The guy and the husband happen to be friends. The narrator is angry, bitter, and vindictive. (How romantic!) He proceeds to alienate and abuse everyone in site, including taking a few stabs at Catholicism for good measure.

I think the only reason I finished the book is (well, I'm not working for one) I saw it being referenced in ways that confused me. Also, there was a movie made about it with Ralph Fiennes and Julianne Moore, not that it makes the book any better.

Why is this a classic? I'm confused.

On the plus side, it's very short!

No comments: